Hot Tub Maintenance without Spa Marvel
Initial Start-Up: For Greater Victoria Tap Water (for 1,000 Litres Hot Tub – for 1,500 Multiply by 1.5)
Before adding chemicals, know your spa water capacity in litres.
- Add 12g or 2 tsp. of SM BRITE (non chlorine shock and bromine booster) per 1000 litres .
- Once the spa has sufficient water for circulation, turn on the filtering equipment.
- Add appropriate amount of CLARIFIER : 15 ml/1000L (CLARIFIER) or 1 tsp./1000L for CLEAR 4-in-1 Clarifier.
- Add 60g of ALKALINITY and 350 ml (205g) of CALCIUM per 1000 litres.
- Using Bromine or Chlorine, add appropriate amount of sanitizer. (for Bromine add 6g or 1 tsp. of SANI BROM per 1000 litres)
- The skimmer basket can also be used to dispense Tablets.
- Using 4 Part Test Strips:
- Test the total alkalinity. The ideal range is 100 – 150 p.p.m. Adjust with ALKALINITY or MINUS GEL (PH-)
- Test the pH. The ideal range is 7.2-7.8. Adjust if necessary with PLUS GEL (PH+) or MINUS GEL (PH-)
- Test and adjust the water hardness. Adjust with CALCIUM to 100 - 200 p.p.m.
It will normally take a day or two of circulation to get bromine level up to the ideal range of 3 to 5 p.p.m. Filtration Settings can vary from tub to tub and depending on bathing loads. Ensure filtration is set appropriately.
Daily To Weekly Maintenance (depending on bathing loads)
- Test pH to maintain a level of 7.2 - 7.8 and alkalinity 100-150 p.p.m.
- Using BROMINE TABLETS or CHLORINE TABLETS or GRANULES adjust your feeder so the bromine residual is 3-5 p.p.m. (with ozonator 1 to 3 p.p.m.). Add 12g of SM BRITE per 1000 litres.
Minimum Weekly Maintenance (depending on bathing loads)
- Shock 12 gm. of SM BRITE per 1000 litres (6-8 hours after STAIN CONTROL).
- Add CLARIFIER as directed. Circulate water for 30 minutes.
- Using 4 Part Test Strip:
- Test and adjust Bromine, pH ( PLUS GEL (PH+) to increase PH or MINUS GEL (PH-) to reduce pH) and Alkalinity (ALKALINITY).
- Using BROMINE TABLETS test for Bromine and adjust feeder to maintain a bromine residual of 3-5 p.p.m.
- SM BRITE
- Non chlorine shock and bromine booster (12g /1000 litres).
- Spa can be used 15 minutes after using SM BRITE.
- Should be used at least weekly.
- Add 15 ml or 1 Tbsp. of STAIN CONTROL per 1000 litres to inhibit scaling and staining. Circulate the water for 30 minutes.
- Greases, oils and organic waste can accumulate on the filter cartridge reducing efficiency and limiting the effectiveness of the sanitizer. Clean the filter with your choice of filter cleaner as directed (CITRA-CLEAN, Spa Marvel Filter Cleaner or CONTACT). Physically clean the basket daily. The use of SPA PERFECT will prolong the life of the filter cutting down on grease, foam and suspended particles in the hot tub.
- WHEN TO DRAIN SPA WATER: Due to the warm water temperature and high evaporation rate, the total dissolved solids tend to build up. For this reason we recommend draining and refilling the spa periodically (every 2 to 3 months depending on size and amount of use). If your hot tub is used daily or by a large number of bathers, the water should be drained more often. One method to determine the appropriate length of time between water changes is to divide the water volume (in litres) of your hot tub by 13.5 and then divide by the average number of bathers each day (Example: 1000 litres divided by 13.5 divided by 2 = 37 days). The hot tub water must be changed when the amount of dissolved solids becomes excessive, and is usually indicated by “gray” or dull looking water.
General Chemical Instructions – For Greater Victoria Tap Water
Add 2 tsp. per 1000 litres of water – Let water circulate for ½ day before adding sanitizer or shock (15 ml Stain Control weekly for regular maintenance).
Initial and as required – 15 ml/1000L (CLARIFIER) or 1 tsp./1000L for CLEAR 4-in-1 Clarifier.
Initial - add 60g per 1000 litres. Total alkalinity level maintained in the range 100 p.p.m. – 150 p.p.m. If level is below 100 p.p.m. add 16g per 1000 litres to raise alkalinity by 10 p.p.m.
Initial - add 350 ml (205g) per 1000 litres. Hardness level should be tested often and maintained in the range of 100 to 200 p.p.m. If level is below 100 p.p.m. add 110 ml (65g) per 1000 litres of water to raise hardness by 50 p.p.m. Wait 15 minutes before using spa.
Ideal as initial treatment. Add 12g or 2 tsp. per 1000 litres. - Once a week with Spa Marvel.
PLUS GEL or PH+ To increase pH to recommended levels:
Below 6.610g per 1000 litres
Below 6.6 - 77.5g per 1000 litres
Below 7.0 - 7.45g per 1000 litres
with PLUS GEL
Add 20ml to increase by 0.4
MINUS GEL or PH-
Proper daily levels 7.2 – 7.8 100 – 150 p.p.m. (if levels are higher add 60 ml/1000L (15g with PH-) to decrease by 0.4 ppm) Wait 15 minutes & retest.
SPA ANTI FOAM
Add 10 ml per 1000 litres – Wait 10 minutes.